Wednesday, September 17, 2008

'D' Vent

OK, so forgive me for indulging in a little venting here. I'm so sick of health trouble. This year has been the hardest year health wise for me I've ever faced. For those of you I haven't whined to yet, in the last 18 months, I've had:
  • Bone hump and pinched nerves in my neck resulting in the loss of feeling in my arms and fingers
  • Gestational Diabetes -- tummy shots, pricking fingers and all
  • C-Section surgery(this was worth it for my darling boy)
  • Terrible asthma-- loss of 20% of my lung capacity
  • Terrible allergies -- UGH!
  • Three bone spurs in my feet, resulting in loss of movement and extreme pain. I finally got a cortisone shot this week and I'm doing much better now
  • AND.....

The most recent discovery today was that I have a severe vitamin D deficiency. Seriously? Isn't that for third world countries and people with malnutrition, or those who live in Alaska???

Supposedly it is the vitamin D loss that is causing my extreme fatigue and aches. It could even be responsible for my crazy bone formation in my neck and feet. Who knew?

They are telling me though, that apparently once your body has a severe deficiency of vitamin D, no amount of time in the sun will make up for this problem. They've prescribed special vitamins for me to replenish my stores of vitamin D. Normally, a daily supplement has 400 IU of vitamin D. The special vitamins I'll be getting have 50,000 IU. Crazy! Apparently I need to take these for several months before I'll be back to normal levels.

As sick as I am of health problems, I'm so very grateful for medical care. I can't even imagine the state I'd be in if there were not people who work very hard to help me. Both to do the tests to figure out what's wrong, but also to fix the problem when we know what it is. Getting a cortisone shot was the singular most painful experience of my life, but now my foot pain is gone. From absolutely miserable to pain free in minutes. What a miracle in my life that wonderful shot was. It's amazing what the right medicine in the correct spot can do to help!

Thanks medical team -- I love ya all!

3 comments:

Vi said...

Don't you love that you can just vent on your blog?!?! I am so sorry you have to go through all of this... You do know that I am pretty much always home- so let me know if you need anything...
As far as the Vit. D... guess you need to take some time to sit on that boardwalk and soak up some sun more ; )

Roemmele Family said...

Wow...you are such a trooper. At that point I would have declared myself bed ridden for life. J/K I am glad they were able to find thing to help you.

Charlotte said...

Wow. Vitamin D. Good luck. I remember when I had to go on the "extra iron" plan when pregnant with Elise. I hope D doesn't have the similar side effects!