Growing up, my family had a unique but wonderful Christmas tradition -- warm breadsticks. My dad is the master of making breadsticks. He would make pan after pan of these tasty, buttery treats.
My brother, sister and I would hand deliver them to our neighbors as soon as they popped out of the oven. They were carefully prepared on holiday paper plates, the long breadsticks hanging over the edge. Each plate was counted out for the assigned household -- two breadsticks per person.
All of the circle waited anxiously for the breadsticks. They'd be notified ahead of time which day we would be making our special delivery. Every house would leave their front porch lights on so that we knew they were home and they wouldn't miss out on their family's allotment that year.
I wish I was home now, waiting to eat the slightly over cooked breadsticks from the end of each batch, sopping up the extra butter and cheese left in the pan. But, my dad is in Iowa this year and I'm in Connecticut -- I'll have to make my own tasty breadsticks. So, here it goes:


To my circle neighbors that missed out this year, I'm truly sorry, but we'll eat your share!

1 comment:
Oh, how I loved that tradition! We loved getting your dad's breadsticks!! They were always warm and oh so tasty. How cool that you are carrying on the family tradition. If you ever move back to Utah, maybe you'd consider my street?
Post a Comment