For at about 10 AM, I went down to our beautifully finished basement to find it flooded with about 2 inches of water. By 2:15 that was up to 8 inches. Now, we've crested at 10 inches and we're starting to fight back. We got the broken sump pump working, and it's stopped the water from coming in. We haven't been able to get rid of the water that's already inside -- it's still raining and the water table is just too high. We're putting up a good fight though and hope to gain on it in the next few hours. If we can get the water down, then we can use the hot water and furnace again. As for right now we have no heat and no hot water.
I tell you, if you ever have to go into battle, take along the team of warriors I've had today. Not only do they work really hard, but they lift your spirits on the battlefront and help you make it a reasonably pleasurable experience. My warriors:
First, my dear friend Emily who helped me to get the most important things
off the floor before the flooding got worse
(and her kids entertained my son by playing in the giant bathtub)
Second, my husband who rushed home
from work to take on this unbelievable task.
Third, my daughter who lugged countless items
up the stairs and out of harm's way.
Fourth, the wonderful Tage Wright who managed to get us a new sump pump when there are none to be had within a hundred miles, and then came and installed it and made sure everything was in working order. His feet were numb and bright pink from being in the freezing water. Thanks Tage!
(Sorry I forgot to take your picture)
Fifth, all the wonderful people from church that have called to check on us.
What an amazing bunch of people.
I'll always be grateful for your encouraging words and offers to help.
We'll probably take you up on it once the flood has receded.
Someday, this March will be a month I remember with a smile and a chuckle for all the struggles we've faced as a family. I have to say, I haven't shed a tear yet today; we've been able to laugh and just deal with the situation. I'm sure the tears will come when we have to start hauling our cherished belongings to the dump, but for now, we're just grateful we're all safe, reasonably healthy and that we've had help to start dealing with this wet wonderland we call a basement.

1 comment:
Oh, I am so sorry about your flooding. Your attitude is wonderful. Isn't it amazing when hardships like this happen to see all the caring friends who are willing to help. I will be thinking of you and hoping your hot water and heating is soon restored.
Post a Comment