Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pneumonia Day Two

John is getting better.

We gave him two nebulizer treatments in the middle of the night( 12:30 AM and 4:00 AM) -- Jared and I rotated so that we could both get about 6 hours of sleep in a row. Both treatments went well. I gave him another at 8 AM before we headed to the pediatrician to get him checked out. He also had augmentin and oraped -- antibiotics and a steroid. All in the hopes of getting him better. But, (no pun intended) problem inducing -- diarrhea. UGH! Poor guy has a bright red bum.

The doctor said he's getting better. YEAH! We need to wait and see what's happening though. We'll know more by Friday, after all the medication has time to work it's magic and get rid of the infection, and help his lungs to get better. There is a small possibility that he could have asthma or a similar condition. Time will tell. We're slowly tapering off the nebulizer so that he can get stronger on his own.


Last night as we were going to bed, I mentioned to Jared that I thought we needed to lower the crib mattress. He thought we'd have a few more days before it was a problem. This is how I found John this morning after his nap. Needless to say, I lowered the mattress. He spent the rest of the day trying to pull himself up so that he could stand. It's an obsession.


I'm predicting that he'll walk by Sept. 15th. We'll just have to see.

Maddie's having a bit of a rough time of it all. She's just plain exhausted. Also, she's frustrated that John's getting all the attention, love and movies that he wants. So, she went downstairs to watch tv. She ended up getting distracted by a mediocre tv show and missed her favorite. She came upstairs and threw herself on the floor screaming and wailing. I have never been so angry! John started crying. Yep -- the dreaded nap waker-upper. I explained to her that I was furious and that she had better take her crying self out of the room before she regretted it more than she could possibly know. Some of my anger must of conveyed, because even through her own tears and wailing, she rushed downstairs.

Our other big problem, is that Maddie wants to be in control of John's every movement. She is constantly shouting, "NO, JOHN!" at the top of her lungs and removing from one side of the house to the other. This was a picture of her rescuing him from the floor in front of the stairs. Don't worry, he was never in danger.

We finally made it to the grocery store for as many frozen dinners as I could find. I'm not in the mood for cooking this week.

The funny of the day came after we had both kids in bed. I walked past Maddie's room, saw that her light was on, and as I passed I said, "Maddie, time to go to sleep. Please turn out your light."

"Mom, I only have two pages left -- can't I just finish?"

I just laughed and laughed. Oh, the thousands of pages I read using the excuse of 'only two pages left.' It was one of those payback moments that left me with a smile.

1 comment:

Twinlinebackers said...

I remember that trick! "Two more pages". You get to the end of those pages and mom isn't back to enforce so you sneak in another 10!!!! Ah, the days. Now I just sneak out of the room and sleep in the guest bed so I don't get caught still reading two more pages at 2:30am.

That little snippet of John's room reminds me the I never got to see his finished room. Before you download those pictures, will you take a few to show me?