Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 195 -- Urine in Costco

Now to look at that sweet little boy, you'd never know what a ruckus he caused at Costco today!

We went as a family to IKEA, Costco and Arby's. It's becoming a trend. I wanted to finish getting our toy organizer from IKEA and we needed some food from Costco. Well, as you probably know, these things take time. Quite a bit of time.

In Costco, we were distracted by a dining room table. We've had one in mind, but can't bear to part with the cash for it. The Costco table is much more in our budget. We were sitting contemplating the wonderfulness of the table when John starts screaming from the cart. We really couldn't see a reason for it, so kind of ignored it while we finished our conversation. Well, the screaming reached a fever pitch. Suddenly, I see that John has just urinated all over the cart, our groceries and the floor at Costco. Apparently, he recognized that his diaper was full even if we didn't.

I started to laugh. Jared didn't think it was funny at all and John was pretty ticked. Jared picked him up out of the cart, holding by one armpit and out at arm's length. He looked like he was inflicting child abuse. I told him so. He fixed it by holding him by both armpits at arms length. Jared is so not thrilled with urine.

I found a Costco employee and explained what my cute little boy had done and told them I had no way to lean their floor. They told me they'd take care of it.

Jared was slowly walking John to the front of the store--still holding him at arm's length, having been instructed to take him to the car and clean him up while I bought a new outfit for him(we were one hour from home with no back-up clothing).

Suddenly I realized that the only credit card we had was in Jared's wallet, so he was forced to stay while we paid for the very full cart of now wet groceries. He was so seriously unhappy!

I grabbed an outfit from the kids section. I just had to laugh. They only had one choice in his size -- an Oscar-the-grouch matching set that says, "Love it, don't trash it." Oh, how appropriate!

I stopped at a sample station and asked the 200-year-old woman if she had a paper towel. She politely answered that the samples had small cocktail napkins, would that do? No. Very much no. I explained that my adorable son had urinated on the groceries. She started to chuckle and got out this giant sized box of paper towels from under the little stand. She handed me a large bunch and I went off to sanitize the things that had been under John-John. I wasn't touching them until they were at least dry!

We finally got out of there and out to the car. I found Jared and John at the side of the car -- John laying on the pavement in his wet, white, adorable outfit. UGH! But, they were progressing to cleaning him up.

We pulled ourselves together, went to Arby's for much needed fuel and then got stuck in traffic on the way home for about 2.5 hours. What a day!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh no! That sounds like an adventure no one wants to have. Although, it was entertaining to read about. Was this last Saturday (I guess that would be yesterday), because we were driving south and noticed the traffic the other way was terrible!

on an unrelated note, did you decide anything on the table?

Twinlinebackers said...

Oh you poor poor thing. John will survive - kids are so resilient. But poor you! I'm sorry shopping turned so traumatic. I hope you have recovered.
(I'm not being sarcastic).

Rachelle said...

i am wetting my pants reading this post. too funny. poor john john. and poor jared. boys never deal well do they!!