Do you know how much time it takes to put them together? On average about 30 minutes each Friday. That's Maddie's teacher's entire lunch break. So, to help the teacher out, that is my assignment for helping her class. It's not a big deal for me to go in and help. John loves seeing the classroom and all of the kids as they head down for lunch. I get the chance to catch up for a few minutes with Maddie's teacher and see how things are going. I also get to give Maddie a hug and a kiss in front of her entire class! It's a win-win for everyone.
Be prepared for a small soapbox moment...... stepping up now...
When Maddie was little I really, I mean REALLY debated homeschooling her. I wasn't happy with the things I was seeing in the schools in Maryland. I didn't think it was the best choice for Maddie. We worked together every week so that she was accustomed to me as a teacher figure so that if I did decide to home school, it wouldn't be a major issue.
I collected curriculum, information, catalogs and was prepared to go the distance if required.
Luckily, we moved to CT a year before Maddie started school. I researched every school in the area before we bought a home, and I'd say that a significant portion of our decision was based on the school system we were able to find.
I'm absolutely blown away by Maddie's school and the families that attend there. We are in the right place for her. Maddie has abut 17 kids in her class. By my notes, at least six of the mothers are in the classroom every single week. Isn't that amazing???? They are helping, bringing supplies, doing crafts and assisting the teacher. The mother's and father's involvement has the most amazing effect on the school --
Every teacher in the school knows each of the children and loves them.
The teachers know that they are appreciated and loved by the parents. They reciprocate in kind for the children. It is the best feeling. The whole family is greeted by name with a smile, a hug and a great big welcome. They all even know little John. Everyone greets him by name, every person, every time.
I love sending my daughter to the school. Every day I know that they are taking good care of her and nurturing her in the kindest way possible.
So, where am I going with this?? When they started talking with me(some might say suckering me in) about helping with the PTO as a co-president next year, I was more than willing to be nominated. I haven't been voted in, the vote takes place next week, but I will happily serve.
Why? It's a lot of work, and no glory.
But, I know the influence it will have in my daughter's life. Anything I can do to make her school a better place, I'll do because it's my job as her parent. I made the decision not to home school, but I didn't step back from the educational process for her. I'm right there, every step of the way. She might not see me out in front, but I know what's happening and I'm there to help.
So, if you get frustrated with your kids teachers or school, why not offer to help? They can always use a hand, and you will be astonished by the great results it will bring.
Stepping down now......

3 comments:
I'm happy you found a home with a great school! As you know, it's not so great in our area so I opted to homeschool. Best decision for us but may change if we move to a place with great schools.
Good for you, for getting involved!
I was on the PTO board when Elise and Ryan were in school. It was a place without a lot of parental involvement and I was there about 3 times a week. We had to run everything all the time. Totally burned me out, and I am barely able to consider getting involved in the PTO again.
I loved this post, because I firmly believe that parents need to be more involved in their children's schooling and that schools were never meant to replace the home. Way to go Darcy. I admire all your hard work and effort.
Post a Comment