Today I set out to learn how to make bread bowls and copy Panera's wonderful Broccoli Cheddar soup. I used a baguette recipe, but instead of shaping it into three baguettes as directed in the recipe, I shaped it into four balls and cut an 'X' in the top of each one. I couldn't believe how big they got! It was actually astonishing to pull them out of the oven. I wish I would have taken a 'before' picture, they were just tiny 3" round balls of dough. They rose before they went into the oven, and then almost another 25% when they were baking. The recipe has a great crumbly, crunchie crust. Maddie was quick to tell me that I got the bread right. We gobbled up a loaf in about 2 minutes flat. The bread was a huge success -- now on to the soup.
It's not very often that I completely fail at cooking -- even my mistakes are usually tolerable. The soup was awful. Disgusting. Terrible. I was so angry about the soup I was snapping at everyone and I refused to eat it. I wouldn't even let them make the bread into bowls.
Maddie and I ate bread and cheese. Jared ate some of the soup. We threw the rest away. I can't believe how awful it was. I don't even know if I'm going to try to copy the soup again. It was expensive to try -- one pound of cheese, one pound of broccoli, julienned carrots, half and half, chicken stock, etc. It probably cost around $11. If I would have had 3 dinners out of it, I would have been OK. Now, nada. UGH!
My only consolation is that I now know I can make some kickin' artisan loaves, bread bowls or baguettes.

3 comments:
I did not know you were such a baker. I'm definitely trying the cheese bread (I love gruyere and it's not so expensive at Sam's) and probably the baguettes. Thanks for the recipes.
Did you use the King Arthur bread flour for this or did you substitute something else with it. Those bread bowls are tempting enough to make me want to try and bake bread. They look delicious.
I used the king arthur bread flour for the bread. I always use King Arthur flour, either all-purpose or bread depending on what I’m doing.. You can get it at Walmart for just about the same price as normal flour, but it doesn’t have nasty chemicals in it. Go bake! Good luck!
Post a Comment