Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My White Bread


A few years ago I set out to learn how to make bread. It's amazing to think I really had no clue back then what I was doing. AT ALL! I found a recipe for Challah bread and fell in love with it. I've modified the original recipe a bit over the last two years, and now this is the staple recipe in our bread baking diet. I'm always surprised how many people think it tastes a little like cake. Maybe I like cake a tremendous amount and don't know it.

All I know is that I love this bread served with a little bit of salty butter or dipped in soup. YUM!
NOTE: I usually whip this up in the bread machine and let it do its thing. However, you can make it by hand also.

Darcy's White Bread

3/4 cup milk, scalded
2 eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons yeast

First, scald the milk in the microwave by heating it for about 1 minute.

Add the oil and honey to the milk to cool it a bit. Stir thoroughly.

Add the eggs, salt, then flour, then yeast. Turn bread machine to the dough cycle and let it go -- check during the first kneading process to make sure the dough has enough flour to 'clean' the sides of the dish.

When the dough cycle is finished, remove and punch down dough. Form into two loaves. Place in greased baking pans. Let rise for about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until internal thermometer reads 180 degrees. I usually put aluminium foil on the top about 15 minutes into the baking time.

Remove from pans immediately and transfer to a cooling rack.
***You can also make this into one really tall loaf -- that's what is pictured above.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

have you tried this with wheat? red or white?

Unknown said...

Yes! I've used white wheat to make the flour. It doesn't rise quite as high, but it still works fine.

I've added vital wheat gluten and dough enhancer as well, and they help to get it a bit higher and lighter texture. But it works fine without them.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Darcy! I'm going to give this one a try, soon. Now I'm off to make some Italian bread for dinner tonight :)